Flying into Fort Myers, Florida from MSP to RSW is one of our favorite things to do! While we have yet to actually stay IN Fort Myers, we have been able to enjoy the Fort Myers Beach area a few times on our way to and from our other SW Florida destinations, in this case, Lover’s Key State Park! If you are planning a trip to the Fort Myers Beach area, here are some things to know before you go:
- Fort Myers Beach and Pier can be busy in season but is absolutely beautiful. The beach’s sugar white sand and beautiful blue water is the perfect setting for sunbathing, shelling, or for relaxing as you enjoy one of Florida’s famous sunsets.
- The pier is located at Fort Myers Beach Times Square and is within walking distance to just about anything you could need to enjoy a day at the beach!
- The pier is perfect for fishing and scouting for wildlife such as dolphins or manatees as well as a variety of birds.
- The Square is also a fun area to explore, enjoy live entertainment, and is loaded with local gift shops.
- If you have time to actually enjoy the water, area rentals include kayaks, wave-runners, and offer boat rides, parasailing, etc. There is even a ferry that will take you down to Key West or Marco Island if you have a full day to explore!
- The area also offers a variety of restaurants within walking distance, from higher-end to casual dining, as well as our favorites: ice cream shops, breakfasts places, and most importantly, desserts. One of our favorites is Bennett’s Fresh Roast – they have incredible donuts!
- Traffic can be very busy and parking is limited. We found street parking along the shops within walking distance to the water and simply doubled our expected travel time in and out of the area on our way back to our VRBO.
- Just south of the pier area of Fort Myers Beach was one of our destinations: Lover’s Key State Park. This park is absolutely gorgeous and the pavilion is a fabulous choice for a destination wedding!